The number of new active COVID-19 cases in publicly funded schools across the province has jumped by another 30 per cent to a total of 180.
In its latest data released Wednesday morning, the province reported 42 more school-related cases — 21 more students were infected for a total of 77; five more staff members for a total of 38 and 16 more individuals who weren’t identified for a total of 65.
There are 153 schools with a current case, which the province notes is 3.17 per cent of the 4,828 publicly funded schools.
Two schools are closed — Monsignor Paul Baxter elementary school in Ottawa and Fellowes High School in Pembroke.
There is a lag between the provincial data and news reports about infections in schools. The provincial data is current as of 2 p.m. the previous work day, and doesn’t indicate where the place of transmission occurred.
For instance, the Toronto District School Board reported on its website late Tuesday that a student at Harbord Collegiate Institute has tested positive but that case isn’t reflected in the latest provincial numbers
Epidemiologists told the Star last week that the numbers in the schools aren’t a surprise, and that the cases will be proportionate to the amount of COVID that’s in the community.
The province reported 335 new cases of COVID-19. Locally, there were 102 new cases in Toronto with 79 in Peel and 65 in Ottawa.
The TDSB updates its information throughout the day on its website.
“Please note that all schools where there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 who was contagious while at school will receive a letter from Toronto Public Health to inform them about the possible exposure,” the website says.
Not included in the provincial numbers Wednesday morning are positive cases reported in private school. This past Monday, two students at the York School tested positive for COVID-19 as well as a faculty member at Branksome Hall, according to notices put out by the school.